Henty's Corner

Henty's Corner

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1880
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​50-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Village custom was to name this corner by who ever occupied the small cottage to the the right of the picture. In this case it is known as Henty's Corner after Thomas Henty. Also at times being known as Gullard's, Bryant's or Howe's. This was an end cottage facing the Cricket Green. The front room was a small confectionery and tobacco shop reached by steps from the pavement. The window had a dsiplay of pipes and tobacco with a 'loafers corner' made black by the men who rested there. The offices of the Surveyor to the Croydon Rural Sanitary Authority and offices of Mitcham Burial Board are in the building to the left of the picture. The middle building was at one time the premises of the London and Provinicial Bank and before this possibly Summerfield's the tailor.

Related items


* Required field