London Road, Mitcham: Rear of 475.
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1900|
|Copyright 1||Phox studios|
|Notes / History||The Mill Cottages at Mitcham Bridge are now more commonly referred to as the Fisheries Cottages. They are three buildings located at
475-479 London Road, Mitcham. The double-fronted house, seen here, was built shortly after 1851. The other two cottages are older and recorded in the Mitcham Poor Rate Book of 1755.
The main house (officially 475 London Road) was probably built by Richard Jones, a felt manufacturer, for his own use. It is grander than the older cottages which were built for mill workers. It was also home for a few years from 1895 to Henry Bourne, bailiff of a short-lived private angling association. This picture shows a family (unknown) in the rear of 475 London Road. It is possible that the picture is of Henry Bourne and his family.
The name Fisheries Cottage is thought to have been coined by an estate agent when the properties were put up for sale in the 1990s.