River Wandle, near Crown Mill, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1922|
|Notes / History||Mills have existed in this part of the River Wandle since the 1700s. Crown Mill, along with Grove Mill, was situated on the right side of the river looking north as seen in this picture. Two other mills for a while existed on the other bank. This is now part of the National Trust Watermeads nature site.
This area also had a number of channels (mill cuts made from the water to redirect water to drive waterwheels. Crown was burnt down in 1964 and not rebuilt.
For more information on the mills in this area see:
Mitcham Bridge, The Watermeads and the Wandle Mills by
E. N. Montague published by the Merton Historical Society.