Willow Farm, Christchurch Road, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1910
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Dutriez collection
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​17-4
Original Format Photo
Notes / History The Willows was built in 1746 and stood for 200 years on the north side of the Willow Lane. In the mid-1800s it was used for calico printing by a gentleman named Makepeace. Its fields extended southwards along the banks of the River Wandle as far as
Mill Green. It was taken over in the 1880s by Louise Dutriez for watercress and pig farming. The Willows remained until the 1930s before being demolished.

This photograph shows
Richard Martinne (1887-1917) who was killed at Ypres in the First World War taking watercress to market.

Related items

Comments

* Required field