Corn Chandlers, Fair Green, Mitcham

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 9th January 1959
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 Mitcham News & Mercury
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​13-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This was located at
29-31 Upper Green East. The barn was to the rear of the main shop. The shop had been home to a corn and forage merchant for over 150 years, The two-storyed weatherboarded and pantiled barn was one of a number of out buildings which included a detached stable with a hay loft. In 1969 when the site was demolished members of the Merton Historical Society found remains of pottery, glassware and a pitcher which dated back to the 13th/14th century along with part of a corn-grinding stone. A building on this site can be traced back to 1689. The shop and it other buildings survived until 1969. The last occupiers from the 1920s were the Gutteridge family trading as corn and flour merchants. The site is now home to Baclays Bank

Related items

Comments

* Required field