J.Jakson & Son Ltd: Mint harvest
Buy a print
|Notes / History||This picture shows a cart load of peppermint belonging to John Jakson & Co. The distillery was located at New Barns Farm on the Croydon Road. Originally part of the larger distillery business of James Arthur which was second only to the firm of Potter and Moore. The small herbal distillery was built in the 1820s. In the last years of the herbal industry prior to the First World War it was used by the French firm of John Jakson & Co. The distilling of peppermint and lavender continued until 1949.
For more information see Mitcham Histories Book 3 by Eric Montague and published by Merton Historical Society.