Morden Mill, Mitcham Bridge.
Buy a print
|Notes / History||This mill was built around 1780. It was occupied by Richard Glover and become known as Glover's Mill. During its life it was sometimes referred to as 'Raleigh's Mill' and 'Caleb Raleigh's Mill'. A reference to Sir Walter Raleigh and his association with tobacco. This is a rather erroneous link. The mill remained in the Glover’s hands until 1840 first through Richard Glover II and then John Glover, Richard Glover II younger brother. Business at the mill appears to have finished in the mid-1840s. The mill stood unoccupied and unused until it was demolished in 1922. The closure of the mill brought snuff milling in the area around Mitcham Bridge to an end.
For more information on the mills in this area see:
Mitcham Bridge, The Watermeads and the Wandle Mills by
E. N. Montague published by the Merton Historical Society.