Connolly’s Leather Works, Merton Mill, Colliers Wood
Buy a copy
|Copyright 1||Wandle Industrial Museum|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||K. Smith|
|Notes / History||Corn milling has been known on this site from the 13th century. By 1779, Merton Mill was described as ‘one of the most complete mills in England’. During the 18th century, the site was inherited by James Perry, a radical journalist and edition of the ‘Morning Chronicle’.
He lived at nearby Wandle Bank House, and invested a considerable sum in modernising the mill. The efficiency of the mill was such that it was soon the largest supplier of flour in London. In 1905 it was converted to leather production and subsequently purchased by Connolly’s Limited. The leather for the chairs in the House of Lords and House of Commons was supplied by Connolly's. The building is now flats.
This picture shows the rear view of the works which relocated to Kent in the 1990’s. The original windows were lost in the conversion to residential accommodation.