Merton Road, Wimbledon: Barclays Bank is shown on the left
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Lady Elizabeth Blount (1850-1925), wife of Sir Walter Blount, Baronet, lived at Merton Road c. 1900-1902. (Here the road is pictured during the interwar period).
The late Victorian period witnessed a growing demand for education and the freedom of women to participate in areas such as science and research.
Elizabeth's work was varied, she was not only a poet and composer but also campaigned against vivisection; edited "The Earth", a monthly science magazine, published c.1900. She was also Treasurer of the Universal Zetetic Society, dedicated to increasing knowledge through research and debate.