|Notes / History
||Prior to the Second World War the housing in Pollards Hill had been built either for owner-occupation or private renting. However, after the Second World War there was an urgent need for subsidised housing. The Pollards Hill housing estate was a substantial development and the Borough Council purchased remaining land at Pollards Hill, including land that remained of the Pollards Hill golf course, in order to provide mass housing for rental. Included in the social housing provided the Council built six-storey maisonette blocks, starting with Westmorland Square in 1950, and finishing the final block, Bovingdon Square, in 1956.