Pain's Fireworks, Eastfields, Mitcham

Pain's Fireworks, Eastfields, Mitcham

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1970
Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​6-4
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Pain's moved to Mitcham in 1872 from Brixton due to tighter regulations in the Explosives Act. The site of their factory was known as Oak Stubbs and comprised three separate areas:
North Eastern - edge by the
Little Graveney that run westwards from Pollards Hill to Figgs March,
East - by Mitcham Little Wood,
West - Sandy Lane, Acacia Road and Tamworth Lane (known as Firework Lane).

Pain's had been involved with pyrotechnics from the 17th century as suppliers of gunpowder to the Crown. They moved to Salisbury in 1966.

Related items


* Required field