Phipps Bridge Road: Rats Castle
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||4th November 1913|
|Copyright 1||A.C. Archer|
|Notes / History||Rats Castle, an old cottage on the corner of Phipps Bridge Road.
This was an old weather boarded house, located on the junction of Christchurch Road, and what was part of Phipps Bridge Road (now Liberty Avenue).
Originally used by J. Meadows for textile bleaching, it became a confectionery shop (according to Tom Francis' memory). It was named Rats Castle because of its derelict state and was demolished in 1961.