Surviving portion of wall and gateway, Merton Priory, Station Road, Colliers Wood
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||26th December 1958|
|Copyright 1||Mitcham News & Mercury|
|Notes / History||The archway was one of the last remaining parts of Merton Priory. It may have dated from the 12th century. Sadly it only survived until about 1987 having suffered severely through vandalism. The arch that currently exists only faintly resembles the original through the base of original can be seen in the pavement.
The stone of the priory was sold off at the time of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538. The majority was used to build Nonsuch Palace in Cheam which in turn was also demolished and the stone sold on again.