|Notes / History
|Taken from outside the rear of the 'listed' Canons House looking across the ancient carp pond in 1994. The picture shows the mature trees, including willows, surrounding the pond. The site of the house and its estate originally formed part of one of the five manors situated wholly or in part in Mitcham and is referenced in the Domesday Survey. It is possible that the name the 'Canons' derives from ownership of the estate by the Canons of Bayeax, although it is not thought they ever lived on the Estate. Reference can be found to the pond being enlarged by Robert Cranmer, in around 1664, at a time when fish from the pond, would have provided food for the household.