Haygarth Training College
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c 1900s|
|Copyright 1||J Russell & Sons|
|Notes / History||The Haygarth Memorial Training School for Girls was founded in 1859 by Canon and Mrs. Haygarth in order to train girls for domestic service, and originally accommodated 18 pupils. Henry William Haygarth was Canon at nearby St Mary's Church, and had a particularly long tenure, serving from 1859 until his death in 1902. The reverend in this picture is likely Haygarth's successor.
After 1908, the school was based in 54 The Ridgway, a listed building built in the Queen Anne Revival manner. The school shut its doors in 1945, as due to the wars, changes in technology, and other factors, most people no longer required domestic servants, and the class size had dwindled to only five pupils, quite a change from the early 1900s and the seventy-some trainees pictured here.