London Road, Mitcham: Fisheries Cottages and mills
Buy a print
|Notes / History||In the centre of the picture is one of the three Mill Cottages at Mitcham Bridge now more commonly referred to as the Fisheries Cottages. The are three buildings located at 475-479 London Road, Mitcham. The double-fronted house, seen here, was built shortly after 1851. The other two cottages are older and recorded in the Mitcham Poor Rate Book of 1755.
The original Grove Mill, on the left, was destoryed by fire in 1907 and this picture shows the rebuilt mill which has now converted into housing. Crown Mill was located behind the cottages and Grove Mill.
On the right can be seen the former snuff mill that was located on the other bank to the cottages and Grove Mill. This is now part of the National Trust, Watermeads nature area.