Wandle bridge pictured near Grove Mill, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1893|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||This bridge is thought to date form c.1759 when the parishes of Mitcham and Morden were criticised by Surrey magistrates for failing to maintain an earlier structure.
During the Victorian era the waters near the bridge were teeming with trout and fishing rights were controlled by the Wandle Fisheries Association,
a private angling society.
Following the outbreak of
World War II the bridge was strengthened and the road widened. The nearby ford was also made impassable by driving in iron girders to act a tank traps in the event of a Nazi invasion.