Carters Tested Seeds, Raynes Park
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1930|
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Johns|
|Notes / History||In 1863 James Carter opened a retail outlet in High Holborn selling seeds to friends and a small circle of customers.
The success of the business, led to a nursery in Forest Hill, followed by the move to Raynes Park.
Here, Carters established a 19 acre site, including glasshouses, seed beds, testing grounds and storage warehouses. The firm became world famous, winning numerous awards for horticultural excellence.
The complex closed during the 1960s, when the trade name was sold to Cuthbert’s Seeds. In 1967 the land was sold and developed by Merton Council to form the Carters Housing Estate.