Morris & Co. Merton : The office on Merton High Street
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1913|
|Copyright 1||Museum of Wimbledon|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Robin Guy|
|Notes / History||William Morris took over the Amery Mills site and its many buildings in 1881 from the Welch’s printing business. Most of the timber framed buildings had been constructed in the early eighteenth century. Included were two domestic buildings on Merton High Street. This porched
red-brick building was used as offices, a storeroom and dormitory for the young weaving apprentices.
The other small 18th century house had two rooms including a bedroom. Morris rarely stayed there preferring to travel everyday from Hammersmith to Merton Abbey Station.
The houses and most of the site were destroyed by enemy bombing action in 1940.