Morris & Co. Merton : The Mill pond
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1913|
|Copyright 1||H.C Archer Museum of Wimbledon1950|
|Notes / History||Situated on either side of the River Wandle where it flows in a wide bend from the present Merantum Way to turn to run parallel to Merton High Street. Mills had existed on the site of since 1720.
William Morris was granted a lease to the site in 1881. He retained the old buildings, renovating and adapting them as necessary. Morris maintained his connection with Merton until he passed away in 1896. The company remained on the site until it was wound up in 1940. The premises were later purchased by their neighbours the New Merton Board Mills and the buildings demolished.
This picture shows the Mill Pond in front of the weaving and textile printing sheds.