Morris & Co. Merton: The office and garden
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||November 1913|
|Copyright 1||Museum of Wimbledon|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||H.C. Archer|
|Notes / History||This porched red-brick building, located at 11 -13 Merton High Street, was used as offices, a storeroom and dormitory for the young weaving apprentices. The other small 18th century house had two rooms including a bedroom. Morris rarely stayed there preferring to travel everyday from Hammersmith to Merton Abbey Station. The houses and most of the site were destroyed by enemy bombing action in 1940.
This is a picture of the rear of the buildings and shows the gardens.