Morris & Co. Merton: Bridge within the plot

Morris & Co. Merton: Bridge within the plot

Prints Temporarily Unavailable

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 15th November 1913
Area Merton
Copyright 1 Wimbledon Society Museum
Picture Reference MerMor_​Industry_​MO_​R_​12-16
Original Format Photo
Photographer / Origin of Photo H.C. Archer
Notes / History Situated on either side of the River Wandle where it flows in a wide bend from the present Merantum Way to turn to run parallel to Merton High Street. Mills had existed on the site of since 1720. William Morris was granted a lease to the site in 1881. He retained the old buildings, renovating and adapting them as necessary. The bridge brought together the two halves of the sites.

Related items

Comments

* Required field