Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||July 1977|
|Notes / History||A mill has existed on this site since the 1680’s. Used mainly for the manufacture of snuff the buildings seen in this picture were constructed around 1804. Under Rutter & Co the focus changed with the decline in use of snuff to the processing of pipe and cigarette tobacco. Their bestselling variety was ‘Mitcham Shag’.
Whitely Products Ltd, manufacturers of sports goods, took over in 1925 and vacated the site in 1980. Empty for 14 years it was damaged by vandals. Some of the buildings were demolished when flats were built on the site in the early 1990s.