Old Mill on Wandle near Ashby's Flour mills
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1900|
|Notes / History||This is a picture of Morden Mill that is one of four mills that existed near to Mitcham Bridge. The mill was used to produce snuff and sat in what is now the National Trust's Watermeads Property. Occupied at one time by Richard Glover when it was known as 'Glovers Mill'. The mill was on this site from around 1790 until it was demolished in 1922.
The Ashby Brothers occupied Grove Mill and it was when their lease expired in 1902 that after 900 years the history of flour milling by Mitcham Bridge come to an end. The Ashby family appeared in a 1851 directory as "millers, Lower Mitcham".
For more information on the mills in this area see:
Mitcham Bridge, The Watermeads and the Wandle Mills by
E. N. Montague published by the Merton Historical Society.