Mizens Elm Nursery. Mitcham
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Alfred Mizen stated in 1934 that he first arrived in Mitcham in 1866 as the youngest of five children. His father, Edward, had chosen a site in Grove Road near to Eastfield level crossing. The initial house was known as 'Elm Cottage'. Between 1866 and 1868 saw a hive of activity and the family business become established.
Elm Nursery was bordered by London Road, St Marks Road and Feltham Road. The business had grown along with the number of workers. This resulted in homes being built for the workers. Whilst the business folded and disappeared in the 1960's members of the family still lived in the area until 1980.
For more information a booklet 'The Mizens of Mitcham' by Gerald A. Morris is available in the Heritage Centre of Morden Library.