Deeds Mill, Willow Lane, Mitcham

Deeds Mill, Willow Lane, Mitcham

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1953
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 E.P. Olney
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​25-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This mill stands on an island, created by deiverting the River Wandle to form a mill pond and tail race. Situated near the parish boundary between Mitcham and Carshalton, the building was accessed via a ford.
A copper mill was established on the site c.1740. This was run by William Thoyts and later passed to the Foster family. Edward Foster treated lamb-skins to produce fur-like pelts.
His son Charles was a millwright, in addition to being a miller in his own right. During his tenancy (1766-96) the mill was converted to the grinding of corn. In 1884 it was converted to leather processing by John Deed. His firm specialished in producing high quality buckskin and chamois leather. The firm remained in business until the 1960s.

Related items


* Required field