J J Schweizer & Co., Ltd, Batsworth Road, Mitcham

Buy a print

Area Mitcham
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​10-1
Original Format Postcard
Notes / History J J Schweizer & Co Ltd were Varnish Manufacturers established in 1840. They appear to have left the site between 1906 and 1909. The factory was associated with the paint and varnish industry going back to the middle of the 19th century. It was later used by Donald MacPherson & Co Ltd, Paint Manufacturers, who vacated the premises in 1969.

The chimney of the works in
Batsworth Road was a conspicuous landmark. It was generally known as ‘The Cock Chimney’ because of the weather cock on the top.

Related items

Comments

* Required field