James Pain & Sons, Figges Marsh, Mitcham
Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Pain's moved to Mitcham in 1872 from Brixton due to tighter regulations in the Explosives Act. The main factory was at Eastfields and is now a housing estate. This photograph shows ‘The Chestnuts’ now Renshaw’s Corner, Streatham Road. The offices for Pain's were here from 1898 until after WW1. Of Georgian design it is now private housing.
Pain's had been involved with pyrotechnics from the 17th century as suppliers of gunpowder to the Crown. They moved to Salisbury in 1966.