Steam washing factory, Phipps Bridge
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1913|
|Copyright 1||J Kenrick|
|Original Format||Photo of sketch|
|Notes / History||Photograph of a watercolour by Gibeon Yates dated 1825. It is titled
Mr Anson’s near Stream Washing Factory. The correct name is Ancell (or Ansell).
It was built on land on the west bank of the River Wandle given to
Paul Addington. A cluster of buildings belonged to the leaseholders
Newton Leach & Co calico printers at Merton Abbey. Joseph Ancell, proprietor of Merton Abbey Calico Printing Works, acquired a portion of the lease in early 1820’s.
The buildings were demolished during the mid-19th century and replaced by a Japan and Varnish Works. Site is now Merton Industrial Estate.