Watercress Beds near Christchurch, Colliers Wood

Buy a print

Area Colliers Wood
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​62-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History During the 19th century a sea of green watercress plants ran the length of the Pickle Ditch, south of Merton Bridge.
The fields occupied a triangle of land between Brook Path, Merton High Street and Christchurch Road. This nutritious crop remained in cultivation here until the First World War, after which the land fell into disuse and was gradually acquired for industrial premises.
The buildings visible on the horizon are Christchurch, constructed 1873, with the vicarage picture centre. The latter building was destroyed by a doodlebug in 1944.

Related items

Comments

* Required field