P. Gutteridge & Son, Mitcham Fair Green

Buy a print

Date Photo Taken 22nd April 1969
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 C. Fitch
Picture Reference Mit_​Work_​Industry_​49-1
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This was located at
29-31 Upper Green East. The shop had been home to a corn and forage merchant for over 150 years, To its rear were a two-storyed weatherboarded and pantiled barn which was one of a number of out buildings that included a detached stable with a hay loft. In 1969 when the site was demolished members of the Merton Historical Society found remains of pottery, glassware and a pitcher which dated back to the 13th/14th century along with part of a corn-grinding stone. A building on this site can be traced back to 1689 and it was at one time the oldest building in Mitcham. The shop and it other buildings survived until 1969. The last occupiers from the 1920s were the Gutteridge family trading as corn and flour merchants. The site is now home to Baclays Bank

Related items

Comments

* Required field