Eagle Leather Works, Mitcham: Bleaching skins
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1913|
|Copyright 1||L.L.Fagg. 20 Palace Square. Upper Norwood.|
|Notes / History||The mill was also known as Mitcham Mill, Searle’s Mill and Deeds Mill during its history. A mill was first recorded on this site in 1685. Access to the mill was by a ford at the end of Willow Lane. The mill stood on an island created by a diversion of the River Wandle. The island was actually in Carshalton. The Mitcham parish boundary was determined by the river.
The mill was taken over in 1884 by J.S. Deed and Sons and used for leather production. They specialised in the production of fine white buckskins, other soft leathers and sheepskins. The mill was demolished in 1965. However the company remained in the Willow Lane area until 1997.
This picture shows the leather being dried and bleached on the banks of the River Wandle.