Prints Temporarily Unavailable
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||Wandle Industrial Museum|
|Notes / History||Ravensbury Mill from the rear showing the mill pond and to the left, a house now demolished.
A mill is reported to have existed on this site since the 1680s it was grinding tobacco into snuff, using a two-wheel arrangement. The current mill building seen to the right of the picture dates from c.1804. It continued to be used for snuff production and the processing of pipe and cigarette tobacco by Rutter & Co until 1925.
The mill was then taken over by Whitely Products Ltd who remianed until 1986 when the site was taken over and the flats built to replace the building to the left of the picture.