Ravensbury Mill

Ravensbury Mill

Buy a print

Area Morden
Copyright 1 Wandle Industrial Museum
Stakeholder Image WIM
Picture Reference WIMP15
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Ravensbury Mill showing Whitely Products Ltd sign over the front door Skip outside may indicate date is near closure of the works (1980s). Whitelys manufactured sports goods such as rubber cord exercisers and skipping ropes since c1926.

Rent rolls from the 1680s refer to a ‘newly constructed mill’ run by Mr Westbrook. By the 18th century it was grinding tobacco into snuff, using a two-wheel arrangement.

The current mill dates from c.1804 and was properly constructed by
Martin Peakes & Co, tobacconists of London. By 1805 it had passed into the hands of John Rutter, an established tobacco and snuff manufactory. During the Victorian era, the declining popularity of snuff led Rutter & Co to focus on the processing of pipe and cigarette tobacco. Their bestselling variety was ‘Mitcham Shag’ and production continued here until 1925.

Related items

Comments

* Required field